We are pleased to announce the launch of Photomediations Machine (http://www.photomediationsmachine.net): a curated online space where the dynamic relations of mediation as performed in photography and other media can be encountered, experienced and engaged.
Photomediations Machine adopts a process-based approach to image making by tracing the technological, biological, cultural, social and political flows of mediation that produce photographic objects. Showcasing theoretical and practical work at the intersections of art and mainstream practices, Photomediations Machine is both an archive of mediations past and a site of production of media as-we-do-not-know-them-yet. Photomediations Machine is non-commercial, non-profit and fully open access.
Curated by Joanna Zylinska and Ting Ting Cheng, Photomediations Machine has an International Advisory Board which includes Katherine Behar, Lisa Cartwright, Alberto López Cuenca, Asbjørn Grønstad, Richard Grusin, Sarah Kember, Max Liljefors, Melissa Miles, Nicholas Mirzoeff, W.J.T. Mitchell, Luiza Nader, Nina Sellars, Jonathan Shaw, Katrina Sluis, Marquard Smith, Hito Steyerl and Bernadette Wegenstein. It is a sister project to the online open access journal Culture Machine (http://www.culturemachine.net), established in 1999.
Photomediations Machine invites the following types of submissions:
• Visual projects that fit the photomediations theme (selection of images, links to video hosted elsewhere). We accept submissions from artists themselves as well as from theorists and curators. All visual projects need to be accompanied by a short description or a contextualisation piece.
• Short articles (up to 2000 words, including references) on any aspect of photomediations, accompanied by one or more images.
• Reviews (up to 1400 words, including references) of any relevant exhibitions, events or publications, accompanied by one or more images.
• Interviews with artists, theorists, activists and curators (up to 2000 words) working at the interstices of photography and media, accompanied by one or more images.
• Announcements / news about current exhibitions, installations, events and publications that will be of interests to Photomediations Machine’s readers (100-500 words), accompanied by one or more images.
Please submit all text as a Word or rtf document and all images as low-res jpegs (1024×768 px; 72dpi). For written submissions, please use the Culture Machine style sheet. Authors need to clear copyright to all images used.
Decisions about individual submissions will be made by Photomediations Machine’s curators in consultation with members of its International Advisory Board and external advisors.
Please send your submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org